Tuesday, July 1, 2008

UTAMU

(deliciousness)- swahili

I was walking around Newtown after uni a while back when I noticed an African restaurant. Being a lover of food and a lover of travel, it's only natural I be a lover of exotic foods.

Le Kilimanjaro East African Eaterie

Photobucket

Address:
280 King Street
Newtown
Sydney NSW 2042

Phone:
9557 4565

Opening hours:
Daily
Lunch: 12 - 3
Dinner 6 - 11

Monday was my second time eating at Le Killiminjaro and while enjoyable, was unfortunately, not the best time. I went for lunch with a friend but the dinner ambience is definitely better. Watching the shop-fronts attendants sauntering about in their traditional garb, with the dim lighting and rhythmic drum music playing just loud enough to almost nullify the chatter and buzz of the other patrons adds a level of mystique that...well, just makes food taste better. As it were, on Monday, there was soft, soothing music and ours was the only occupied table. Oh dear, did someone drop a pin?

OUR ORDER: Lamb tajini, $10; Accara (fried black-eyed beans balls), $6; Asparagus, $6; Ginger drink, $1.50; Flatbread, $2; Cous cous, $1.50 TOTAL: $27

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
(don't you love the wooden bowls?)

What's amazing about eating here is the texture of things. My tactile sense went a little crazy as I was running my hands over the bristly wooden bowls, rolling the cous cous around on my tongue and loving the light tingle left on my lips by the African spices and ginger drink.

Not to be outdone, my taste buds were having their own shindig. While the food is flavoursome, it isn't saturated in flavour but is a lovely blend of spices. Further, the dishes on the menu are complementary. So, while eating my lamb tajini, I can sample accara without having to cleanse my palate in between.

THE SOB STORY: What annoyed me greatly when I first trialed the restaurant was that the menu was a far away, too-dimly lit board on the wall with words that were unfamiliar to me- sossou-gorigiguan (a tuna dish)? Am I reading that right?
As an amateur critic, the only poorness I sensed in the food was the dryness at times, which made the food rough on my mouth and made me drink more than I usually do during meals.

Food can't provide satisfaction only through taste but also the interplay of other human senses and emotions. Chocolate wouldn't be as enjoyable if not for the way it gently melts in your mouth or if you eat it sitting alone in your room. Emotions and ambience created by the things we see, smell, touch and hear come together with taste so that food becomes a delight.

tutaonana

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterTake 2