Saturday, July 12, 2008

LAZY EATING

Lazy. My family is too lazy to cook so, we usually eat out or order in. When I used to live in Concord, there was this fantastic Italian & Lebanese place we used to order from all the time.


Photobucket

Address:
40 Tennyson Road
Mortlake
Sydney NSW 2137

Phone:
9743 5329

Hours:
Tuesday - Sunday from 5pm

OUR ORDER: Veal Schnitzel w/ Steamed Vegetables & Mushroom Sauce ($15.50), Fettuccine Carbonara ($13), Lamb Kabbabs ($16), Warm Prawn Salad ($15), Lebanese Bread ($2) TOTAL: $61.50

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

The other night, after almost a year of ordering delivery from this place, my brother and I, for the first time, sought out the restaurant. In tradition however, we did not eat-in. We did the take-away thing.

The strange thing about this place is that half the stuff on the menu that I've tried is fantastic! Sadly, the other half is like the result of my home cooking after I get distracted and forget that I've left something on the stove...

Generally, anything that's barbecued or off a skewer from this place sucks and the desserts are plain and overpriced. Select dishes however, like the soups, schnitzels, pastas (sans the spaghetti) and prawn salads are delicious. I'm told the place has great pizzas as well but I've yet to try one.

The veal schnitzel is made with tender beef and is best with the mushroom sauce. I don't know if it's cause we only ever get delivery and the steam is trapped inside the box..but the batter is never crisp, which isn't nice. The carbonara is good but nothing special about it. The lamb kabbab was off a skewer so...nuff said. It's really the prawn salad that is excellent. That dish is something special. Salad greens with capsicum and celery (I don't like celery both others do), sun-dried marinted tomatoes, avocado, chopped roasted peanuts and prawns...really, it is like a raging party in my mouth. Delicious! I could eat it every day. It's mainly for that salad that I order from Noi Due so often. If the rest of the menu had such spectacular dishes, this restaurant would be the hub of the inner west. Well, that and if they fixed up the interiors.

Inside, it's bare, cold, and with a layout that divides the large area into a somewhat cramped space that demolishes the restaurant's potential to attract more eat-in diners. With its cheap furniture, it somewhat reminded me of a kids' cafeteria. The ambience could definitely be improved by a little interiors work. They could knock down that dividing wall and give the place some colour instead of the white floors and walls. A proper door to the kitchen would be better than the plastic flaps they have now. Since it seemed like the kitchen wasn't that busy or exciting, a window to allow patrons to show the chefs cooking probably wouldn't be a good idea.

OK, enough with my little interior decorating rant...all in all, great food with the mains at a reasonable price but Noi Due is definitely a take-out/delivery place. It was great to snuggle up on the sofa with my food and watch the Wizard of Oz on the widescreen tv and not have to worry about the dishes.

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterTake 2