Saturday, July 5, 2008

NOSTALGIC TASTES

Last week, I was in Cabramatta and met up with a friend who I don't see as regularly as I'd like these days.

Tan Viet

Address:

Shop 2-3/100 John st
Cabramatta
Sydney NSW 2166

Phone:
9727 6853

Hours:
9am-7pm/7 days

MY ORDER: Criskin-skin chicken with tomato rice, $10 and 3 colour drink, $3.50. TOTAL: $13.50

Photobucket

This place makes the best crispy-skin chicken! My parents rarely make breakfast and I'm usually not hungry in the morning but, back when I lived close to Tan Viet, I'd wake up in the morning and the scent of their kitchen would make my stomach growl.

The restaurant is famous for it's crispy-skin chicken with dry egg noodles but I prefer tomato rice. Other restaurants tend to make tomato rice more like fried-rice, with egg and more oil, but Tan Viet puts more tomato in it, giving it a deeper and richer flavour.

Photobucket

The 3-colour drink was something I didn't really care for it. I like the bean; I like the jelly and; I like the rice & bean pudding but together it was a little strange.

After lunch, we headed to Laurence Cake Shop (44 John st) to buy cake boxes for a baking project. They don't sell them but we didn't leave empty handed! There are a lot of bread-shops and bakeries in Cabramatta and out of all of them...in fact, out of all the places in Sydney, Laurence has got to have the best egg tarts. ($1.20)

Photobucket

Some places make it with too much pastry so it feels dry in your mouth and others have old ones for sale that are damp and stale, where the custard's grown a funny top layer..yuck. The egg tarts at Laurence's are always fresh and have a good pastry to custard ratio. =D

To wash it all down, in Cabramatta style, we headed to the BKK centre's shake shop. They sell fruit shakes and something called '7 choices' which is a mixture of desserts like that in the 3-colour drink but, as the name suggests, with 7 variants. There used to be shops like this all over Cab but this is the only one left. My two favourite drinks from this store are avocado shakes and strawberry shakes. The avocado one while fantastic tasting, is really fattening so I went with the strawberry. Here's me:

Photobucket

He he, hanging around Cabra, eating foods whose tastes are authentic to the area and hanging out with old friends really brings me back to the happy old days!

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterTake 2