Thursday, July 3, 2008

MOB-MADE

I never took notice of the tiny noodle shop adjacent to Strathfield Station but was smacked with a heavy sense of familiarity when, a few nights ago, I decided to try the place. The wooden tables and benches, the respectful and well-dressed man quietly reading that day's newspaper in the corner, the flour-dusted workbench and, women with their heads wrapped in kerchiefs and aprons around their waists... I couldn't place my finger on it at first but after I found myself expecting a bunch of conspicuous-looking men to charge out of a would-be back room , I thought how this Korean hand-made noodle shop would be the perfect setting for a gritty crime film.

Hand-made noodles

Photobucket

Address:
5 Albert Road
Strathfield
Sydney NSW 2135

OUR ORDER: Handmade noodles with Pipis, $10; Rice noodle with sliced egg and kimchi, $10 (free kim chi side dishes). TOTAL: $20

Photobucket Photobucket

When you're watching Asian films about mobs and gangs, the head mobster is usually seen conducting his criminal business under the facade of a family-run restaurant, which is either luxurious, with lavish foods or modest, with basic dishes. This restaurant was the latter.

I quite liked the flavour of the dishes, especially the hand-made noodle, however, the place was pretty much ordinary. While every dish on the menu was inexpensively (and conveniently) priced at $10, there was little in them aside from the noodles. I'd eat there again but probably not anytime soon. The sob story really is that the best part of this restaurant is probably the way I identify it with movies I've seen.

The place is only a noodle-house so to finish off our meal, my friend and I trotted down to Gelatissimo, which has a fantastic new chocolate range. Here's me eating the chilli choc flavour ^^ ha ha, yes I know I look retarded.

Photobucket

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterTake 2